FAQ: the questions you have always asked yourself about a language stay

FAQ: the questions you have always asked yourself about a language stay

Going on a language stay is tempting you, but you are wondering about it. With this FAQ, you may find the answers you expect. Holingo is here to help you so keep calm and vamos!


Are language holidays expensive?
The average cost for a language stay is difficult to establish. It all depends on the language stay you choose. The price may vary depending on the destination, the school, the number of course hours, the program, the period and the duration, the accommodation, the proposed activities, the transport ... so many factors come into play. account.
Why is it cheaper to use Holingo to book your language stay?
If you choose to go through Holingo, you will already save on agency fees because there is no intermediary. It's a 100% digital platform with a customer service that will listen to you as soon as you need it.

Are meals included in language offers?
No, the student must manage his meals himself. Depending on the length of stay, think about taking enough pocket money to pay for your meals each day. The schools are, for the most part, equipped with a cafeteria to which you will obviously have access.
If you have opted for the host family, evening meals are often prepared by the locals. The shared apartments have an equipped kitchen. For university residences, there is a common kitchen where you can prepare your evening meals.


At what age can one go on a language stay?
Language holidays are open to everyone. Even if the average is between 16 and 24, any motivated person can claim to participate in a language study trip. On Holingo, classes are adapted according to age and level. The minimum required is 4 years, beyond, there is no limit. There are even people who try the adventure with the family, it's rather fun!

Do I have to have a good level of English to qualify for a language study stay?
The offers have been studied and programmed so that everyone finds his shoe. So whatever your level, you will necessarily find the destination and program that stick to your needs. With the language stay you can learn, improve or perform in a foreign language.

An assessment test is given to students at the beginning of the program. It allows students to be leveled to facilitate adaptation and push for progress. If finally a student feels more comfortable or less confident, he can change class.

Do we need a specific diploma to register for a language course?
No. Everyone is welcome. There is no restriction on a grade level. You are on a language study stay to learn a new language and not to pass a diploma such as a baccalaureate or a university degree.

Travel / Destination

Is there a good time to go on a language study trip?
No, there is no ideal time to go on a language study trip. After, everything depends on the destination. The further it is, the longer it will take. And so anticipate leaving during school holidays.

If you have the choice, look also at the best times to have cheaper plane tickets. These small savings will allow you to enjoy a little more on the spot.

Do I have to go far for a language study trip?
Not necessarily. Many English-speaking or Spanish-speaking countries are located a few kilometers from France. England remains a popular destination but it is not the only one. Going further is also an opportunity to combine knowledge and discovery.

Are there countries to promote for a language study stay?
Again, it all depends on what you are looking for. You can very well go to another continent, at the other end of the world or stay in Europe. The learning or the reinforcement of the language will be the same, only the landscapes will change. It's up to you to see if you feel the soul of an adventurer to fly to Australia or Mexico.

Is transportation the responsibility of the student?
Yes, it is absolutely necessary to plan the transfer because transport from the airport of arrival or from home to school is not supported. Before booking online, look closely at the school's opening and closing hours so you do not find yourself locked out.


When should you start your research to go on a language study trip?
As with many procedures, the sooner the better. Getting there in advance allows you to choose your destination and especially a program adapted to our desires. Places are sometimes limited so to be certain to have one you have to organize
Are there any supplies to buy before going on a language study trip?
In general, the school provides all the materials and supplies needed by the student. If you have preferences for a type of notebooks (small tiles, large tiles ...), pen or other, you can obviously take them away. Do not hesitate to contact the persons in charge of each school to know if there are no particular modalities.

Is health insurance included in language offers?
No, it is strongly recommended to take out comprehensive insurance before leaving. The prices of medical interventions can reach astronomical sums depending on the country. It is therefore important to be insured to avoid additional costs.

Is there a reception service?
A reception service is offered to all students. It is enough to make the request to be able to benefit from it. Transfers from the train station / airport to the school allow you to feel more serene and better understand the language stay.

Do I need a visa to go on a language study trip?
• For Europe: only a passport is required to go on a language study trip
• For the United States: a passport and an ESTA are required. To get his ESTA, simply go to the US government website.
On the other hand, if the stay exceeds 90 days or if there are more than 18 hours of classes per week, a student visa will be required.
• For Canada: a passport and an eTA (electronic travel authorization)
If the stay lasts more than six months, a student permit will be requested.
• For Australia: a passport and confirmation of registration in an Australian institution (Electronic Confirmation of Enrollment).
A stay of less than 3 months: tourist visa
More than three months: student visa
• For South Africa: no visa will be required for stays of less than three months.
For more than three months, it is necessary to obtain a student visa.

If there is a problem, is there someone to help me?
If you encounter any difficulty on the spot, do not hesitate to address yourself directly to one of the officials present on the spot. He will take care of you and try to solve your problem as efficiently as possible.


Is accommodation included in language study offers?
It's up to you to see if you want to take the package with or without housing. Most people who go on language trips choose to include accommodation but this is not an obligation. It must be said that depending on the destination, it is more reassuring to have it in advance.

Which accommodation to choose on the spot?
There are different types of housing, to you to see which one corresponds to your personality.
• The host family: living with the locals is the best way to immerse yourself fully in the adventure of language study abroad.
• The student residence: the residences are secure, close to the school. This is an opportunity to meet other students.
• Colocation: the ideal accommodation for people who want to be independent.

How are host families chosen?
Host families are selected and carefully checked. They must respect the standards concerning the quality of reception and comfort. The more you give details of what you expect from your host family, the closer it gets to your criteria. Holingo wants to guarantee you the best possible experience and that goes through the host family.

Do you really progress in language during a language study stay?
Completely, it is even here all the interest. You are in total immersion, from morning to night. You live with locals, you attend classes reinforced in the chosen language. Everything is done so that in a few days you feel disoriented and more and more comfortable with foreign languages.

Traveling to a country that does not speak the same language as one's mother tongue is the best way to move quickly and efficiently.

How are the schools selected?
At Holingo we give paramount importance to the opinion of the students. It is they who are best placed to speak and judge language studies. That's why we select schools based on their feelings. Of course, the prestige, quality and professionalism of the establishments are also studied closely.
Schools have, among others, the following accreditations: ACCET, ALTO, British Council, CEA, Eaquals, English Australia, English New Zealand, English UK, English USA, Feltom, IALC, Languages ​​Canada, Quality English ...
How many people are there per class?
This is case by case depending on the destination and especially the type of course chosen. If you imagine the same strength as in your high school or university, remove that idea of ​​the head right away! Sessions are held at less than 20 students per class to promote learning and progress faster.

Are teachers local?
The teachers are those of the host school. They are English speakers if you want to strengthen your English or they speak Spanish fluently if you want to study this language. You will learn with perfectly bilingual people. An asset, even to work your accent.

Are there only French people going with me?
The mix of nationalities is put forward. Schools welcome students from all over the world. Thus, you can discover new cultures by meeting people from all over the world to, like you, improve their level of English or Spanish.


Are the courses personalized?
Yes. It's up to you to define which package fits you best. Already the personalization is done at the level of the language that you wish to study, the number of courses, the size of the school, the place of learning ... Many factors that, crossed, give you the ideal and personalized offer nothing only for you.

How are the language levels established?
The professors follow the scale established by the Common European Framework of Reference. The CEFR has defined 6 language levels:

• A1: beginner with very little knowledge of the language. The vocabulary is limited.
• A2: elementary. The student expresses himself in a simple way. His vocabulary is very academic. Basic sentences are understood and reused both in writing and orally.
• B1: intermediate. Reading and writing simple texts are acquired. The basic subject understanding is good. Vocabulary and grammar still lack practice.
• B2: upper intermediate. The student is comfortable with the language used daily. The conversation is common on different topics. The skills to work in an international company are acquired.
• C1: advanced level. The student is at ease both in writing and orally. His vocabulary is rich.
• C2: advanced advanced level (mother tongue). The student is perfectly bilingual.
What is the content of the courses?
There are different types of courses:
• General courses: they can be followed either in standard mode or in intensive mode. The goal is to improve language skills under various themes. Activities are offered during sessions with group work, projects to build, interactive activities, outings ... In the standard format, there is a little more free time than in the intensive formula.
• Official Exam Preparation Courses: This type of course is for people who want to take a test in a recognized language. It can be a need as professional as for studies. The training makes it possible to better understand the requirements of each event.
Can I take a language test during my language study stay?
Yes, provided the program provides for it. At Holingo, you can take classes that prepare you for exams like TOEFL or IELTS. The classes are divided into two: in the morning they are called standard lessons and in the afternoon they become specific to the preparation of exams.

If you want, you can ask to take the exam directly on the spot at the end of your language course. The proposed English exams are: FCE, CAE, CPE, IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC.


Are activities planned during a language study stay?
If you want to enjoy your language stay to have fun, you can! Different formulas are at your disposal for you to progress in language while having fun. This is the case, for example, with one of the offers in New Zealand that offers morning classes and rugby training with one of the best clubs in Auckland. Not bad is not it ?

Is there any free time available during a language study stay?
You can choose a language stay in "part time". That is to say, you only stay in class in the morning. The afternoon is totally free. You can choose to participate in activities organized by the school or to create your own program to independently discover the city where you study.

Can I give my opinion on my language course?
On Holingo, a category is entirely dedicated to the evaluation of your stay. The goal is to give your opinion on the school but also on the content of the courses to help other students in their choice of destination for a language course.
If you still hesitate on your destination you can also look at the testimonies left by others. In all transparency, they give you their experience as they have experienced it. A good way to get an idea of ​​what is waiting for you.

Are there courses during public holidays?
We give you the calendar of holidays where the school is closed. Courses can not be provided on these dates. There is no possibility to replace them, compensate them or pay them back.

How to wash my laundry during a language stay?
If you have chosen to live in a roommate or university residence, you can go to a laundromat. There are sometimes in the apartments or even within the residence. For those with a host family, the linen is obligatorily washed once a week. This service is free according to the family.

Who do I contact about the language course?
You can contact us from Monday to Friday from 9h to 18h by phone at 04 13 41 98 77. You can also use the contact form.

For information requests about the course locations, contact the contacts within the school directly.
Here is a little overview of the main issues. If you have others do not hesitate to tell us. If you ask them, others must do the same. The answers will be useful to everyone.
Share :

Latest articles